SPECIFICATIONS OF THE MEDICAL/BIOLOGICAL WASTE INCINERATOR
- It should be a three chambered incinerator
- The load capacity of 250 kg
- The housing for the incinerator should be able to withstand the temperatures and other operational requirements.
- The chimney should have a strong refractory lining of special type of cement to withstand temperatures more than 1200o
- It should have a strong base for the machine to keep it stable, firm and secure during its operational lifespan.
- The primary (combustion) and the secondary (scorching) chambers to be fitted with burners for effective combustion.
- In the third chamber, scrubbers and precipitators will need to be installed as pollution control equipment before emission of gases into the atmosphere.
- A system for continuous emission Monitoring and Environmental Monitoring.
- A mechanism with which to treat the waste water before discharge into the sewerage system.
- Temperature control and monitoring devices (probe thermometer) should be availed to ensure that the right temperatures are attained in the chambers during operation.
- Motor (fans) sufficient to induce enough air into the combustion chambers and direct the gases towards the flue 9 chimney).
- High power electricity and emergency generator connection for automated ignition purposes.
- The chimney should be tall enough and be at least one meter above the tallest building in the vicinity.
- The fuel tank (industrial diesel) to be constructed next to but out side the incinerator housing for security purposes and to prevent fire hazards. Capacity of 250.
- Training of all the personnel involved in health care waste (HCW) management.
The Automatic Feeding system of the Incinerator
- Automatic waste loading mechanism with conveyor belts. These will lead the waste into the first primary chamber.
- An Automatic bottom ashes discharge system.